Proverbs 22:7: The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.
New York State is luring school districts into compliance with their failing educational practices by promising millions of dollars if they will prepare their schools to teach children to “participate in tomorrow’s economy.”
The Smart Schools Executive Summary begins with a misnomer meant to create concern for the lack of technology in the classroom. According to the report, the necessity for technology is that it “helps students gain the skills they need to compete for in-demand jobs in the 21st century economy.”
The summary continues, “furthermore, equipping all students with up-to-date tools is essential to ensure that New York State’s students develop the skills they need to become competitive participants in the 21st century economy.
There are seven “Keys to Success for Achieving a Smart School”.
1. Embrace and expand online learning . . .
2. Utilize transformative technologies . . . to deliver differentiated instruction . . .
3. Connect every school to high-speed broadband . . . and deliver sufficient wireless capability to serve every student. . .
4. Extend connectivity beyond the classroom . . .
5. Provide high-quality, continuous professional development . . . to ensure successful integration of technology into the teaching and learning experience.
6. Focus on in-demand STEM skills . . .
7. Plan, plan, and plan again
It seems as though Governor Cuomo and Microsoft have made a $2 billion dollar deal to push forward the Common Core testing regimen that has every student in every school taking standardized tests at the same time, on computers that collect data on the physical and emotional responses of our children to their assessments.
The plan is to capture this data in real time so that it can be utilized immediately to control the spending habits of our youth to insure their future profits.
Educational dollars must be spent on providing America’s children with a developmentally appropriate, arts based, experiential education that concentrates on engaging their gifts and talents to build within them the confidence necessary to become concerned, respectful, responsible adults that take an active role in their government and its efficient and effective operation.
Our children are more important than their profits.
Join the Movement to Save Our Children!